BOOK 02 6457 7132

Adaminaby

EXPLORE

Adaminaby

Quiet town in the Snowy Mountains - popular destination for people fishing for trout.


Located 51 km northwest of Cooma and 453 km southwest of Sydney, the new township of Adaminaby has a population of about 400 and is 1021 metres above sea level.
The original town of Adaminaby (which is now under the waters of Lake Eucumbene) came into existence in 1885 although pastoralists had been in the area since the early 1830s. Initially the population of the area was sparse. John Cosgrove and Charles and Henry York were the first settlers and they named one of their large land holdings Adaminaby (probably spelt Adamindumee and possibly meaning either 'a camping or resting place' or 'place of springs' in the language of the local Aborigines).
For thirty years the country around Adaminaby remained sparsely settled by Europeans. The land was grazed but the living was hard. It wasn't until the discovery of gold in the area in 1859 (Kiandra) and 1860 (along the Eucumbene River) that people began to move into the area in significant numbers. Being located midway between Cooma and Kiandra, Adaminaby enjoyed a brief boom at this time as it became a convenient stopover point for gold prospectors on their way to the goldfields.
It is an hilarious comment on local government decision making processes that when the township was finally proclaimed on 25 March 1885 it was named Seymour (a name it had been given in 1860 when the town had been surveyed - but a name which had never gained favour) but in less than a year public opinion prevailed and on 9 October 1886 it was renamed Adaminaby.
These events are all recorded on a plaque on the side of the town's General Store which also notes that the Snowy Mountains Authority moved the town to its present site in 1956-57 to make way for the rising waters of Lake Eucumbene.

Sequoia 5
FEATURED PROPERTY
Sequoia 5
June Early Bird Special
FEATURED PACKAGE
Kids Ski and Stay Free